The
UK's foreign secretary has said "narrow gaps" remain between Iran and
the six world powers meeting in Geneva to discuss Tehran's nuclear
programme.
William
Hague called for any deal to be thorough, after he arrived to negotiate
alongside counterparts from the US, Russia, France, China and Germany.
The ministers hope to persuade Iran to stop enriching uranium in return for a loosening of sanctions.
But Iran insists it must be allowed to enrich uranium for power stations.
Tehran denies repeated claims by Western governments that it is seeking to develop nuclear weapons.
Some US politicians say they will push for more sanctions if the talks fail.
'Complicated and tough'
Negotiators have been working since Wednesday to try to find an agreement that is acceptable to both sides.
The
talks had been scheduled to finish on Friday but were extended and
foreign ministers joined on Saturday, amid hopes of a breakthrough.
US
officials said Secretary of State John Kerry, who arrived in Geneva
early on Saturday, had the goal of "continuing to help narrow the
differences and move closer to an agreement".
Mr
Kerry's participation in itself does not prove a deal is at hand, but
it does show that the talks may have reached a critical stage, says the
BBC's James Reynolds in Geneva.
The other ministers from the so-called P5+1 group of nations were also arriving on Saturday.
Mr Hague said that a deal would be done only if it was a "truly worthwhile agreement".
"There
are narrow but important gaps, and it's very important that any
agreement is thorough, detailed and it's an agreement in which the whole
world can have confidence," he said.
EU foreign policy chief Baroness Catherine Ashton is leading the conference.
On
Friday she briefly met Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammed Javad Zarif
for a conversation that Iran's official Irna news agency described as
"complicated and tough".
'Vigorous inspections'
The Geneva meeting follows a previous round of talks earlier this month.
On that occasion, too, foreign ministers flew to Geneva to conclude the negotiations, but they went home empty-handed.
The fate of Iran's heavy-water plant at Arak is one of the issues to be resolved
Analysts
say a major sticking point is Iran's insistence on its right to enrich
uranium - a process that yields material used to manufacture fuel for
power stations, but can also be used in weapons.
Western
diplomats are also concerned about a reactor Iran is building at Arak -
an issue which disrupted the first round of talks.
US
President Barack Obama has said any interim agreement would see the
bulk of international and US sanctions remain, but that Iran would get
sanctions relief worth between $6bn and $7bn.
The
essence of the deal would involve Iran making no more advances in its
nuclear programme and agreeing to "more vigorous inspections", he said.
Regional powers - notably Israel and Saudi Arabia - have been increasingly concerned at the prospect of an agreement with Iran.
Saudia Arabia has expressed disquiet at Washington's readiness to negotiate with Tehran.
"Appeasement
hasn't worked in the past, and I don't think it will work in the 21st
Century," the Saudi Ambassador to London, Prince Mohammed bin Nawaf bin
Abdulaziz, said in an interview with Saturday's Times.
There
have been persistent reports that Saudi Arabia is in a position to
obtain nuclear weapons from Pakistan should Iran develop the bomb.
Pakistan
has described such reports as "baseless" while Saudi Arabia points out
that it is a signatory to the Non-Proliferation Treaty and wants a
nuclear-free Middle East.
However,
Prince Mohammed told the Times: "We are not going to sit idly by and
receive a threat there and not think seriously how we can best defend
our country and our region."

No comments:
Post a Comment